FAQ - Home


Browse by Category:

Building Department

What is a survey?

A survey is a drawing document prepared by a land surveyor.  It indicates all physical improvements on a property including, but not limited to, buildings, driveways, walkways, swimming pools, decks, fences, patios, parking lots, sheds, etc. The survey will also indicate any restrictions, covenants, or easements connected with the property.  The survey that is submitted with your application must accurately depict the conditions of the property existing at the time of application submission.  The survey must also be drawn to scale and contain the surveyor's information.  Many zoning questions cannot be answered unless an accurate survey of the property is presented.

What types of home improvements require a permit?

In the Township of Teaneck a permit is required for almost all home improvements except for interior and exterior painting, flooring and replacement windows and doors. It is best to call the Building Department at (201) 837-1600 ext. 1100 and ask specific questions relating to your project.

What do I need to submit with my permit application?

Completed applications and supporting documents are required with all construction permit applications. Depending on the type of work proposed, building, electrical, plumbing and fire information and details may also need to be submitted. The required forms can be downloaded from the state website at http://www.state.nj.us/njbusiness/licenses/construction/forms.shtml. Three (3) sets of constructions plans are required to be submitted with your application. It is best to call the Building Department at (201) 837-1600 ext. 1100 and ask specific questions relating to your project.

Do I need an Architect for my residential project?

For work that is done to a single family owner occupied dwelling, the homeowner and only the homeowner is permitted to prepare the plans. The plans must be legible and complete. The plans must also be in compliance with state regulations relating to the project. All plans must contain the owner's name, the address of the project, the block number and lot number and the  signature of the preparer and the date of the plans. The only other person permitted to prepare plans for a single family dwelling is an architect, licensed in the State of New Jersey.  The plans must then be signed and sealed by the architect for submission to the Building Department.

Do I need licensed contractors?

In New Jersey, homeowners of single family, owner occupied, dwelling are permitted to perform their own work if they possess the knowledge of the regulations and the skill and physical ability to perform the work. If the homeowners is not able to perform the work they may hire contractors to do the work. For all home improvement projects in excess of $500, contractors must possess a Home Improvement Contractor license. More information on HIC license provisions can be obtained from the Department of Consumer Affairs website at http://www.state.nj.us/lps/ca/contractors/. The state requires contractors to be licensed to insure that they possess basic knowledge to perform the work and required insurance coverage.  All contractors performing electrical, plumbing, fire alarm and sprinkler work must be licensed in those particular fields.

What construction codes or construction regulations are used in Teaneck?

All construction in The State of New Jersey is regulated under The Uniform Construction Code Act. Model codes adopted in the regulations include the 2009 International Building Code (New Jersey Edition), the 2009 International Residential Code (New Jersey Edition), the 2008 National Electric Code, and the 2009 National Standard Plumbing Code. Current codes and standards, along with recent amendments can be found at http:/www.state.nj.us/dca/codes.

What is zoning and when is a zoning permit required?

Zoning is the delineation of districts and the establishment of regulations governing the use, placement, spacing, and size of land and buildings. A zoning permit is required for commencement of a use, or change of use, or the erection, construction, reconstruction, alteration, conversion or installation of a structure. Zoning permits are also required for the installation of fences, patios, driveways, walkways, sheds, recreational vehicles and some temporary uses. It is best to call the Building Department at (201) 837-1600 ext. 1100 and ask specific questions relating to your project.

What is the zone of a property?

You can find the zoning of a property by clicking the link to the zoning map. The dimensional, density and other bulk restrictions can be found in Section 24 of Chapter 33 of the Township Code Development Regulations.
(Zoning Map )  

What do I do if I can not comply with the zoning requirements?

If an applicant can not comply with the requirements of the Development Regulations, the applicant must either modify the project to conform with the adopted ordinances or make application to deviate from the particular zoning requirement by obtaining a variance.

What is a variance?

A variance is permission to depart from the literal requirements of a particular zoning ordinance. Based on the nature of the project, variance applications may be heard by either the Zoning Board of Adjustment or the Planning Board. The processes and procedures of these authorities are govern by the New Jersey Municipal Land Use Law.  Additional information on the process can be obtained from the Building Department.

Where can I obtain a copy of my survey?

In most cases, a copy of the property survey is attached to the official documents received at the time of transfer of title.  Copies of the survey may be obtained from the attorney who handled the real estate transfer, from the surveyor who performed the original work, or from the Bergen County Clerk's Office.

Finance Department

How can I view the current year's budget?

To view the current year's budget click here

How do I view prior year budgets?

To view prior year budgets click here

Municipal Clerk

How do I register to vote?
To register to vote, change your address, or change your name, you must complete and mail a voter registration form.  The forms are available in the Clerk's office or by clicking here (link up to the downloadable form).
When is the latest I can register to vote?
One can register to vote at anytime.  However, to vote in an upcoming election, you must register no later than 21 days before the election.  The Clerk's office holds late night voter registration before this deadline.  We will post notices on the website to announce the late night voter registration and we submit press releases.
How do I know where my polling place is located?
Your polling place is listed on the sample ballot you receive a week before the election.  You can always call the Clerk's office at (201) 837-1600 ext. 1025 as well.
Do I need a permit for a garage sale?

No permit is required.  However, you cannot post signs on public property (street, sidewalk, Township trees, utility poles).  You can have signs on your property.

When is the next Council meeting?
You can access the Council meeting schedule by clicking here (link to meeting schedule).
How can I access public documents?
You can file an Request for Access to Government Records by clicking here and submitting this form to the Clerk's office.  If you will be e-mailing your application, direct your e-mail to clerk@teanecknj.gov.
How can I contact Council?
You can access Council's contact information by clicking here (link) or by sending a letter to the Council in care of the Clerk's office.
When is the next Municipal Election?
Non-partisan municipal elections are held on the second Tuesday in the month of May on each even year.
The next Non-Partisan Municipal Election will be held on May 10, 2016 at which time three candidates will be elected to serve the community-at-large for four years.
How do I serve on an advisory board?
You can obtain an advisory board application by clicking here (link) and forwarding the application to the Clerk's office.  If you will be e-mailing your application, direct your e-mail to clerk@teanecknj.gov .
Does the Municipal Clerk's office process passport applications?
Passport applications are processed by the County Clerk, who can be contacted at (201) 336-7054 and the United States Postal Service, who can be contacted at 800-ASK-USPS (800-275-8777).

Municipal Court

Do I have any outstanding tickets?

Log onto njmcdirect.com or contact the court offices directly @ 201 837 1600

what is the price of my ticket?

Log onto njmcdirect.com or contact the court offices directly @ 201 837 1600

Does my ticket carry points?

Log onto njmcdirect.com or contact Motor Vehicle Commission directly

What are hours of operation?

Monday - Thursday 8:00-am - 5:15 pm via personal appearance

Monday - Thursday 8:00-am - 5:15 pm via phones
What to do if I want to appear in court?

contact the court offices directly during office hours

When is my court date?

For scheduled court appearances contact the court office directly during office hours

By when do I have to pay my ticket?

Generally the payment due date is listed as a court date on the botton of the ticket, for other inquiries contact the court office directly, or log onto njmcdirect. com and click on time payment order sample.

Can I have more time to pay my ticket?

contact  the municipal court office directly.

What is the courts mailing address?

Teaneck Municipal Court
818 Teaneck Road
Teaneck, NJ 07666

Where or when was I issued a ticket?

log onto njmcdirect.com and click on full ticket sample, refer to location of offense, and describe location portion of summons, or contact court office directly.

How can I pay my ticket online?

Click Here to log onto njmcdirect.com to determine the payment status of your ticket

Police Department

How many calls did the Teaneck Police Department receive in 2013?

 A. In 2013, we logged 56,180 calls for service.   Over 8,174 reports were completed.  Officers covered approximately 428,242 miles patrolling Township streets in 2013.

When I call 911, where does my call go to?

If you care calling from a home or a “hard” line, your call is received at the Bergen County 911 dispatch center which is staffed 24/7.  If you are calling from a cell phone, the call could be received by the Bergen County Police or the NJ State Police. It all depends on the cellular system’s ability to track the position of the original call.   Either way, the calls are quickly transferred to the appropriate jurisdiction for response.

I saw something suspicious in my neighborhood but I did not call because I felt “funny” about calling the police. Should I have called?

The answer is a definite, YES.   If you see something that is suspicious or just doesn’t look right, please call the police.  You can call us any time, day or night, and we will investigate all calls.  A large amount of serious incidents are solved because a concerned resident called and reported it.  If you want to remain anonymous, that is ok, but we would rather you identify yourself so we can update you on what we found out.

I read the Suburbanite “police blotter” all the time. Is that all the crime in Teaneck?

Mostly.  The Suburbanite reporter comes in to the police station and is given a complete list of all police calls for the previous week.  He decides what incidents he wants further information or not.  In some instances, we cannot release information (i.e.: domestic violence, juveniles, and incidents under investigation). This is to insure the privacy of victims and as not to compromise any sensitive on-going investigations. All these procedures are in accordance with the N.J. Executive Order #69, regarding information releases to the press.

Cars are speeding down my street and people are always driving while on a cell phone. What can be done?

Call or e-mail the Teaneck Police Department Traffic or Community Policing Bureau and report the problem. For the speeding, we will put the radar trailer on the street, (for about a week) which monitors the speed of vehicles and instantly educates drivers by flashing the current speed. Usually this works well and no further action is needed.  If necessary we would follow this up with speed enforcement details (officers operating radar and issuing summons when appropriate).  You can also check the Township web site for more information.  As for cell phones usage in vehicles: we are vigorously enforcing this law. If you use a cell phone while driving, you must use a hands free device.  There were approx. 1,500 reportable accidents in Teaneck last year and driver inattention, because of unlawful cell phone usage, was a large contributing factor.

My neighbor parks his car in front of my house all the time. Can I make him move it?

No. The streets of Teaneck are a public right of way and thus anyone can park on any street unless there are restrictions posted.  Although it might not be considerate for your neighbor to park in front of your house all the time, it is not necessarily illegal. Although, there is a local ordinance that requires no car can be parked for more than 48 hours in one spot without being moved.

What exactly does “parked” mean?

The New Jersey Statutes for motor vehicles state, “ Parking means the standing or waiting on a street, road, or highway of a vehicle not actually engaged in receiving or discharging of passengers or merchandise, unless in obedience to traffic regulations or traffic signs or signals”.   It does not matter if you are in the car or not.

Can my neighbor’s landscaper operate his power equipment any time he wants to?

No.  The Township code (sec 21-15), places time restrictions on noise made by any tools or equipment used in the construction, drilling, earth moving, excavating or demolition work, or the operation of any power lawn equipment, including mowers, leaf blowers, edgers or trimmers.  Operation is prohibited before the hours of 6:30 a.m. and after 8:00 p.m. on weekdays, and before 7:30 a.m. and after 8:00 p.m. on weekends and legal holidays.   If there is a problem, call the police desk or the Community Policing Bureau and we will see if we can work out a solution.



Why are there always two police officers on every call?

There are two officers assigned to most calls for safety reasons. (both for you and the officers).  It is not because we think YOU are dangerous, it is just standard protocol to have two officers respond to calls, just in case.

Does the Teaneck Police Department perform criminal history checks?

Please be advised that the Township of Teaneck may not conduct criminal history checks for a noncriminal justice purpose.  You would be referred to the State Bureau of Identification within the New Jersey State Police.  New Jersey Administrative Code (N.J.A.C.) 13:59-1 ET SEQ.  authorizes the dissemination of New Jersey criminal history record information (CHRI) by the New Jersey State Police (NJSP), Identification & Information Technology Section (I&ITS), State Bureau of Identification (SBI) for noncriminal justice purposes.

How does the graduated driver’s license work? Can I have a handicapped parking space placed in front of my house?

A restricted parking zone may be established in front of a residence occupied by a handicapped person if a windshield placard or wheelchair symbol license plates have been issued for a vehicle owned by the handicapped person, or by another occupant of the residence who is a member of the immediate family of the handicapped person, provided parking is not otherwise prohibited.

Factors that may be considered include the following:

     1.  Available on-site parking (driveway, garage, etc.)

     2.  Availability of on-street parking within close proximity to the residence.

     3. Traffic conditions.

What should I do if cars park illegally on my street?

When given the opportunity, residents frequently express their concerns about illegally parked vehicles. However, most residents either never report the violation or they report it after the vehicle has left the area. If a violation is observed, contact the police department immediately to ensure that corrective action is taken.

Can I have parking on my street restricted?

A restricted parking zone may be established after a traffic study has been conducted and determines that a need exists for such a restriction.  Included in the request for a parking restriction should be a petition of support signed by the residents/businesses affected by the restriction.

Can I have parking on my street restricted to residents only?


The Township does not have a program in place which grants residents who live on the street exclusive rights to park on-street. The Township Attorney has advised that such a restriction raises a number of Constitutional issues since general taxpayer dollars are spent to maintain all streets in Teaneck.

What should I do if I receive a motor vehicle summons that I don’t believe is justified?

If you believe you were undeserving of a summons, contact the Municipal Court at (201) 837-4850 and enter a plea of “Not Guilty.” You will be given a date to appear before the judge to explain you position.

Can I have a speed hump placed on my street?

New Jersey Law restricts speed humps from being used on any roadway having direct contact with any street in any other jurisdiction. They may only be used on totally self contained residential roadways under municipal jurisdiction. The roadway must have fewer than 3000 cars per day, with a posted speed limit of 30 MPH or less, and on one-way streets connecting to county roads.

How long does my child have to use a car seat?

Children under the age of 8 years and who weigh less than 80 pounds must be secured in a child passenger restraint system in the rear of the vehicle.

Does the Police Department install infant/child car seats?


The Police Department will examine your car seat, free of charge, for proper installation and make any adjustments necessary. Parents are responsible to read the owner’s manual and attempt to install the car seat prior to inspection.  To schedule an appointment, contact the Traffic Bureau at (201)837-2600.

How do I have “Keep Kids Alive – Drive 25” signs posted on my street?

“The “Keep Kids Alive – Drive 25” signs are used only in the vicinity of parks and/or schools OR where other roadway characteristics exist

The posting of 25 MPH signs on residential streets is not required and will not be considered unless a traffic study indicates such action is warranted. Factors that may be considered include the following:

     1.   Road characteristics

     2.   Roadside development and environment (ie. Parks, Schools, etc.);

     3.   Parking practices and pedestrian activity; and

     4.   Reported crash experience for at least a 12 month period.

How do I get a “Child At Play” sign posted on my street?

The Township does not use “Child At Play” signs. They are not permitted pursuant to the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices, promulgated by the Federal Highway Administration and is the standard manual for all traffic signs in the State of New Jersey

Do stop signs and traffic signals always make intersections safer?


Myth Versus Reality


Myth 1:  Having a stop sign is always better than no stop sign, OR, more stops signs are always safer than fewer stop signs.


Reality:  Unwarranted stop signs create problems at both the intersection and along the roadway by:


1.   Encouraging motorists to drive faster between intersections in order to save time. Placing stop signs on every low-volume local street      promotes speeding as drivers view the additional delay caused by unwarranted stop signs as “lost time” to be made up by driving at higher speeds between stop signs;

2.   Encouraging violations of traffic laws. As the number of stop signs increase so that nearly every intersection has one, the rate of stop sign violations tends to increase;

3.   Encouraging the use of alternate routes. Placing too many stop signs in some areas often causes traffic to use other neighborhood routes to avoid a sequence of intersections that may be controlled by stop signs; and

       4.   Increasing the chance that drivers will disregard conflicting vehicle and pedestrian traffic, which raises the risk of collisions.



Myth 2:  Installing stop signs on all approaches (four-way stop) to an intersection will always result in fewer accidents.


Reality:  Four-way stop signs do not necessarily improve pedestrian or vehicle safety. In fact, pedestrians in stop sign-congested neighborhoods often have a false sense of security about crossing local streets with four-way stop signs, but in reality may actually increase safety risk.


Myth 3:  Installing signals always makes intersections safer.


Reality:  The installation of unwarranted signals, or signals that operate improperly, can create situations where overall intersection congestion is increased, which in turn can create aggressive driving behavior. Both drivers and pedestrians tend to become impatient and violate red lights or drivers are tempted to cut through neighborhood streets. This subjects local residents to a greater risk of collisions, worse congestion and more air and noise pollution.

Can I get a stop sign posted at my intersection?

Stop signs may be installed at intersections where the normal right-of-way rule would not be apparent.  Stop signs are not used to control speed, nor are they posted on the “major street” unless justified by a traffic engineering study.

How do I get a 4-way Stop intersection?


    Multiway stop control is used where the volume of traffic on the intersecting roads are approximately equal. The following criteria will be considered when evaluating the need for a multiway STOP intersection.

A.  A crash problem, as indicated by 5 or more reported crashes in a 12-month period that are susceptible to correction by a multiway stop installation.

B.  Minimum volumes: 
1.  The vehicular volume entering the intersection from the major street approaches (total of both approaches) averages at least 300 vehicles per hour for any 8 hours of an average day, and 

2.  The combined vehicular, pedestrian, and bicycle volume entering the intersection from the minor street approaches (total of both approaches) averages at least 200 units per hour for the same 8 hours, with an average delay to minor-street vehicular traffic of at least 30 seconds per vehicle during the highest hour.

 * There are currently no intersections that meet the minimum volume requirements within the township that are not being controlled by a traffic signal.

How do I get “in-street” pedestrian crossing signs placed in a roadway?

The following requirements must be satisfied prior to considering the placement of an In-Street Pedestrian crossing sign:

1.   In-Street Pedestrian Crossing signs shall not be used at signalized intersections.

2.   Signs shall only be installed in central business areas or other areas with significant pedestrian activity.

3.   Posted speeds along the roadway shall not exceed 35 MPH.

4.  There shall be a minimum clear roadway width of 24 feet (e.g. 40’ roadway with 8’ wide parallel parking lanes on either side).

5.   In-Street Pedestrian Crossing signs shall only be used at marked crosswalks.

6.  The signs shall only be installed on sections of roadway, which have a no passing zone, approaching the sign location from each direction of travel.

7.  The signs shall not be installed on one-way roadways, divided roadways, or roadways with two-way left turns.

8.  The signs shall not be located where it will adversely affect the turning radius of motor vehicles.

9.  The In-Street Pedestrian Crossing sign shall be placed in the roadway at the crosswalk location on the center line, on a lane line, or on a median island.


…file for a Firearms ID Card / Permit to Purchase a Handgun

You can respond to Police Headquarters at any time to pick up an application packet and additional information or call to have one mailed to your residence.  Application packets are also available on this website under the “applications and permits” section.  Enclosed in this Packet are the following Forms: Information Sheet, State of New Jersey Application for Firearms Purchaser Identification Card and Application to Purchase a Handgun (In duplicate), State of New Jersey Consent for Mental Health Records Search Form, and a Past Residence/Past Employer form.  Two references must be provided on the application (No Family Members).  Please note that the required State Police forms as well as the Consent for Mental Health Records form can be located, completed and printed on the internet at www.njsp.org/info/forms.htmThe completed packet must be turned in to the Identification Bureau.  The Identification Bureau hours are 8:30 to 4:30 Monday through Friday.  Please call 201-837-2573 with any questions and to schedule an appointment to complete the process.


…apply for a Liquor ID Card

This is handled by the Teaneck Police Department’s Identification Bureau.  The identification Bureau hours are 8:30 to 4:30 Monday through Friday. You can respond to Police Headquarters (ID Bureau) during our dedicated hours on Tuesdays, Wednesdays or Thursdays between the hours of 11am and 1pm to complete and submit an application.  All new applicants must respond with identification (such as driver’s license, passport, or birth certificate).  Fingerprinting is required on initial application and every two years thereafter. New applicants and renewals requiring fingerprints will be provided with an” IdentoGo”referal form.  The ID card itself must be renewed yearly at a cost of $50 (cash or check made out to the Township of Teaneck).


…be Fingerprinted

In some job related and other situations the Teaneck Police Department’s Identification Bureau handles fingerprinting for township residents.  The identification Bureau hours are 8:30 to 4:30 Monday through Friday. You can respond to Police Headquarters (ID Bureau) during our dedicated hours on Tuesdays, Wednesdays or Thursdays between the hours of 11am and 1pm.  The Township of Teaneck charges a fee of $25 per card (payable via cash or check).  You must provide your own cards.  Proper identification is required (such as driver’s license, passport, or birth certificate) and proof of residency.  Certain jobs require that fingerprinting be performed by IdentoGo, MorphoTrust USA (877-503-5981, www.bioapplicant.com/nj).  To learn more or determine if you are eligible to be fingerprinted by the Teaneck Police Department, please call 201-837-2573.


…turn in a Firearm that I have located inside my home

The Teaneck Police Department’s Identification Bureau handles firearms.  In many instances, a township resident will locate a firearm (handgun, rifle) that they no longer wish to maintain or store.  A request can be made to have it destroyed.  The resident should call the ID Bureau at 201-837-2573 to arrange for a pick up.  A signed letter must also be provided requesting the destruction.


pick up a Police Report


This is handled by the Teaneck Police Department’s Record’s Bureau.  The Records Bureau is located on the right side of the front lobby of Police Headquarters.  It is staffed  Monday-Friday and is closed on holidays.  Reports can be picked up between 8:30 am - 4:15 pm at the Record's Bureau.  Please note that a report, such as an accident report, generally takes at least three days before it is available.  Please call 201-837-2551 if you have any questions.


…register my Alarm System


Ordinance #1770 provides for the registration of all burglar alarms within the Township of Teaneck. Fees are established for various types of alarm systems, and service fees are provided for false alarms in excess of three (3) per calendar year; or failure to register an alarm system. Violations may result in disconnection and/or a summons being issued. Residents must respond to the Teaneck Police Department’s Records Bureau to pick up an initial application. The initial registration fee is $25 (cash or check to the Township of Teaneck). Renewal information will be sent by mail yearly. The renewal registration fee is $10. False alarm service fee is $50 (4th through 15th false alarm per year) and $100 for all additional false alarms per year. The Alarm Registration form is available on the Township website.


…apply for a Temporary Handicapped Placard


Applications are available 24 hours at the Police Department, the Township website, and the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission’s website … www.njmvc.gov.

Please be advised that the following materials must be submitted to the Teaneck Police Department for issuance of a Temporary Placard:

-Application- must be completed and certified by your physician that your disability is temporary.

-CHECK in the amount of $4.00 made payable to The New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission (NJMVC).

Once submitted to the Chief of Police, the temporary placard will be issued for a six month period.  It can be renewed for an additional six month period upon completion of the application and re-certification from your doctor.


…apply for a Permanent Placard and/or Vehicle License Plates


Applications are available 24 hours at the Police Department, the Township website, and the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission’s website … www.njmvc.gov.

Permanent Placards are issued through the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission.


…obtain a “Letter of Good Conduct”


Township residents can request a “letter of good conduct” from the Record’s Bureau.  The fee involved is $10. The form is available on the Township Website.

Public Works

How do I report a pothole?

Please click here to submit a service request. During Township business hours the Department of Public Works can be reached at 201-837-1600 Ext.1751

What items are collected at curbside for Recycling?



The following restrictions and criteria apply to recycling containers used by residents for garden debris and commingled recyclable material pick-up:

1)      Containers must be no larger than 32 gallons in size. 

2)      Containers must not have wide bottoms with narrow tops (i.e.pickle barrels).

3)      Containers must have handles.

4)      Containers must be made of either plastic or light weight metal not cardboard.

5)      Filled containers must not exceed 50 lbs.

6)      NEWSPAPERS/MIXED PAPER for curbside collection must be tied into bundles, not more than 12" high and secured with string, twine or cord. Corrugated cardboard must be flattened and tied for curbside collection.







Junk Mail

Paper Bags


Paperback and Telephone Books

Egg Cartons (cardboard only)

Anything else made of paper

Commingled Recyclables:

Aluminum food and beverage containers:

Aluminum soda cans, beer cans, and pet food cans, etc.

Glass food and beverage containers:

Flint (clear) Amber (brown) Green

Ferrous Cans:

Tin/Steel (soup, food, coffee cans, etc)

Plastic containers with #1, 2, 5 may include:

Soda and beverage bottles of various colors, milk and water jugs, detergent bottles, shampoo bottles, bleach bottles, ketchup bottles, syrup bottles, and yogart containers, etc.


How do I know if a snow emergency is in affect?
Contact the Police Department at 201-837-2600.
Is there another location I can drop off Recyclables?

Yes, recyclables can be dropped off at the Township's Recycling Center, located at 1600 River Road.

Recycling Depot Hours

Residents only:

Friday, Saturday and Sunday: 7 a.m. to 2:45 p.m.

The depot is closed to residents Monday through Thursday.

When is the Recycling Center open?

7:00 AM to 2:45 PM, Friday, Saturday and Sunday,  The Recycling Center is closed  Monday through Thursday and Township holidays.

When does leaf season start?
The day after Columbus Day.
When is the last day I can rake out my leaves to the curb?

Please refer to the recycling calendar.

Does the Township accept white goods?

Yes, at the Recycling Center. White goods are items such as washing machines, dryers, refrigerators, freezers, hot water heaters, air conditioners, and other appliances. Pick up on Friday only and must call 201-837-1600 ext 1707 to make an appointment.

What is not accepted at the Recycling Center?

The following items are not accepted at the recycling center: Compact fluorescent bulbs, all batteries (except vehicle), and contaminated motor oil, wood, dirt, rubber, tires, furniture of any kind, gas tanks, antifreeze, paint, compressed gas, propane tanks, NO CLOSED CYLINDERS of ANY KIND, pesticides, and mercury switches.

For those items not accepted at the recycling center, please refer to the B.C.U.A. website.

Who is responsible for pruning trees along the curb?
The Township.
Who is responsible for the sidewalks along the curb?

The property owner is responsible for maintenance of sidewalks adjacent to their property.

Do I need a permit to replace sidewalks along the curb?

Yes, in order to replace one’s sidewalk, a permit must be obtained from the Engineering Department by the respective contractor or homeowner. Contractors are required to be licensed by the Township in order to perform concrete work in the public right of way prior to any construction. If tree roots are involved with the replacement of a sidewalk, the individual performing the work must contact the Public Works Department at 201-837-1600 ext 1751 or 1728 to arrange for the Township to evaluate and/or grind the tree roots.

What steps should I take if I’m having a sewer back-up?

Contact the Department of Public Works at 201-837-1600 ext 1727 during normal business hours. For after hour sewer emergencies, contact the Police Department at 201-837-2600.

Who do I contact if there is a street light out?

Residents can report street light outages by calling Public Service at 800-436-7734 or by calling the Teaneck Police Department at 201-837-2600. When calling, please have location and pole number available.

What is the responsibility of the Bergen County Public Works?

They are responsible for all road related maintenance issues, potholes, and catch basin repair. Click here for the link to county roads.

Who is responsible for Route 4?

The Department of Transportation is responsible for road related maintenance issues, including trees, catch basins, and litter. Click here for the link to the NJ DOT.

Assessor Department

How are properties assessed for taxing purposes?

New Jersey employs an "ad valorum" system of property taxation meaning that properties are taxed "according to value". The value in question is "Market Value" which is the price that can be obtained on the open market in a sale between unrelated parties, which are not being compelled to sell or buy. Accordingly, properties are assessed based on their market value. Any factors that can influence market value are considered in the assessment. This includes (but is not limited to), the location and size of the property; as well as the age, size and condition of the building.

How often are properties assessed for taxing purposes?

There is no statutory schedule for assessing or reassessing properties in New Jersey. County Boards of Taxation can order reassessments or revaluations whenever their analysis of various statistical measures and other factors indicate the need for same.

Although there is no provision, or need, to update the entire assessment list every year, there is a need to keep the list current in terms of changes to individual properties. Changes that can affect assessed values include additions and renovations, new construction, subdivisions, lot consolidations, demolitions and/or severe physical damages. Properties that undergo physical change are inspected and reassessed to reflect said changes.

How often do tax rates change?

Although assessed values may remain unchanged over an extended time period, tax rates change on an annual basis to meet the budgetary requirements of the School Board, Municipal Government and County Government.

Can I challenge the amount I pay in taxes?

The amount one pays in taxes cannot be challenged, however, the assessed value of the property may be challenged through the filing of a tax appeal. Appeals are legal actions which must be filed with the County Board of Taxation or Tax Court between February 1 and April 1 of the year in question. Please note that these are adverserial proceedings where the Township is named as a defendant. Petitioners filing an appeal are entitled to a hearing at the County Tax Board or trial at the Tax Court and are responsible for the preparation, prosecution and management of their own case. Since it represents a clear conflict of interest, the Township is under no obligation to assist, direct or facilitate property owners intent on filing these actions.

Fire Department

What number do you call to request a fire inspection?

Call our Fire Prevention Bureau at 201-808-8080 to request an inspection.

What is the best kind of fire extinguisher for my home?

 A multi-purpose fire extinguisher is best for the home. Look for the rating to be at minimum  2A 10B C on the label. This extinguisher can be used on any type of fire commonly found in the home. (It will often be labeled A-B-C.) It is recommended that an extinguisher be installed in the kitchen and in the garage.

What rating fire extinguisher is needed in a business?

Extinguishers are required based on the type of hazard at your business. The minimum rating for an office with normal combustibles is: 2A 10BC.

How many smoke detectors do I need in my home to provide adequate protection for my family and where do I install them?

You should have at least one smoke detector in each bedroom, the hallway, in the sleeping area, and at the top of all stairways. Smoke rises, so the best place to install a detector is on the ceiling or high on an inside wall approximately 6-8 inches below the ceiling. However, do not install a smoke detector within three feet of any device that might blow the smoke away. Call the fire department at 201-808-8080 for specific information on requirements for smoke detector placement.

How do I know if my smoke detector is working properly? How long do batteries last in a smoke detector?

The fire department recommends that you test your smoke detector monthly.  Batteries normally last up to one year, and usually the smoke detector provides an audible indication (a chirp) when the batteries become weak. As a reminder, the fire department suggests you “Change your clock, Change your battery” each fall of the year.

Why do firefighters get upset when you drive over fire hoses?

Firefighters are very much concerned about running over fire hoses because the hose can be damaged and any firefighter at the end of a nozzle will have the water interrupted and possibly cause injury or death.  (THE FIREHOSE IS THE LIFELINE OF A FIREFIGHTER WHEN FIGHTING A FIRE)

Why do firefighters break out window and cut holes in roof during a fire?

Firefighters ventilate smoke and superheated gases for safety and visibility. This allows firefighters to get inside the building to find and extinguish the fire, thereby reducing property damage. This also reduce the chances of a possible backdraft explosion.

Why do you block traffic lanes at auto accidents, more lanes than are necessary?

We block traffic lanes for the safety of our personnel and our patients. Blocking extra lanes keep our personnel safe when they go back to our apparatus to get more equipment and help protect the victim we are trying to stabilize.

Why do firefighters keep weeds and bushes away from fire hydrants?

Firefighters keep weeds and bushes four feet from fire hydrants for visibility and accessibility.

Why is it illegal to burn leaves and brush on my property?

The NJ edition of the Uniform Fire Code strictly regulates and prohibits open burning outdoors.

How do you get a smoke detector from the Fire Department?

You must meet certain criteria.  Call our Fire Prevention Bureau at 201-808-8080

Health Department

Whom do I call regarding a dead animal on my property?

Dead animals need to be bagged and put out into the street. Contact the Dept. of Public Works at 201-837-1600 ext 1727, Mon thru Fri from 8:30am to 4:00pm for pick up, or please submit a municipal service request directly from our website.

How do I go about opening up a restaurant in Teaneck?

See the forms page on this website regarding opening a business in Teaneck and contact the Building Dept at 201-837-1600 ext 1100, Mon thru Fri 8:30am to 4:00pm for the construction, plumbing, and electrical requirements. Contact the Health Dept for safety and sanitation requirements.

My neighbor's branches/bushes are hanging over my yard. What can I do?

You are permitted to cut or trim back bushes, branches, and/or tree limbs that extend onto your property. Your neighbor is not responsible for what grows or extends over the property line.

At what age do I have to vaccinate my dog or cat and at what age does my pet need a license?

Dogs and cats should be vaccinated and licensed at the age of 6 months.

How many people can live in a house or an apartment?

The number of people permitted to live in an apartment is based on 1 1/2 persons per room for sleeping purposes, as per Section 21-36 of the Code of the Township of Teaneck (ie: 4 sleeping rooms = 6 people).

If my water is discolored, whom do I call?

A: Call United Water Company of New Jersey at 201-767-9300.

Whom do I call if a dog is running at large?

You can contact the Health Department at 201-837-1600 ext 1500, Monday thru Friday 8:30am to 4:00pm. At all other times, including holidays, call the Police Department at 201-837-2600.

I have raccoons or other wildlife on my property. What can I do?

If the animal appears to be sickly, contact the Health Department (Monday through Friday) at (201) 837-1600 ext 1500, from 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM. At all other times, call the Teaneck Police Department at (201) 837-2600. Nuisance wildlife that is healthy must be removed by a private pest control company

What can I do if I had contact with wildlife or a non-domesticated animal? Is there a danger? (raccoons, bats, etc.)

If you were bitten or scratched by wildlife of any kind, including domestic dogs or cats, contact the Police Department at (201) 837-2600 to complete an incident report. You should also contact the Health Department at (201) 837-1600 ext 1500, Monday through Friday from 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM to evaluate the specifics of the incident. Seek medical attention from your private physician.

How long can I keep foods in the freezer?

In general, the longer foods are stored in the freezer, the more the quality of taste and texture are diminished. Most commonly freezer stored items are:
* Butter/Margarine (6 - 9 months)
* Fish (3 - 6 Months) (fatty fishes do not last as long)
* Meats (2 - 3 Months)
* Uncooked Chicken (9 - 12 Months)
* Cooked Chicken (6 - 9 Months)
* Pork (4 Months)
* Vegetables (9 Months)
* Fruits (3 - 6 Months) (except citrus)
* Ice Cream (1 Month)

If I'm over 18, who can I call regarding health care, immunizations, etc?

If you are over 18, you must seek health care from your private physician. If you are under 18, you can contact the Public Health Nurse at (201) 227-6251 for more information.

The local landscapers start too early and/or make too much noise. What can I do?

As per Section 21-15 of the Code of the Township of Teaneck, such operation cannot take place before 6:30 AM or after 8:00 PM on weekdays, and before 7:30 AM or after 8:00 PM on weekends. All such complaints should be filed with the Police Department at (201) 837-2600.

My neighbors make too much noise (music, parties, cars, etc.) What can I do?

As an aggrieved resident, you must file a report with the Police Department at (201) 837-2600. Afterwards, you must file a complaint with the Municipal Court Monday through Friday from 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM at (201) 837-1600 ext 1800.


Can I get a NJ Property Tax Reimbursement Application at the Tax Office?

Yes. The township has NJ Form PTR-1 available to the public. Also, the Tax Collector will verify on form PTR-1A all property tax payments.

My mortgage was just paid off. What do I do?

Provide the Tax Office with a written statement that the mortgage has been satisfied. This is necessary to update the billing records.


Who is responsible for the sidewalks along the curb?

The abutting property owner.

Do I need a permit to replace sidewalks along the curb?
Yes. If you are having a contractor replace the sidewalks, they will be required to be licensed with the Township and will have to obtain a permit prior to performing work in the right of way.  The property owner may also replace the sidewalks, once a permit is obtained.
Where can I find the FEMA flood maps?

The Engineering Department has flood maps available, or click here to see the FEMA website maps


What are the Registrars business hours?

The Registrar's Office is open Monday - Friday 8:30a.m. to 4:30p.m.


Can I get forms from the Internet and fill them out prior to visiting the registrars office?

Yes. All applicable forms can be downloaded from the Municipal Forms page of this web site.

How do I get a marriage/civil union license?

Marriage Information
The Registrar’s Office sets appointments Monday - Friday 9:00am - 4:00pm.
Please call 201-837-1600 ext. 1276 or 1277 for an appointment or if you have any further questions.

Both applicants require the following;
Birth certificates or Passports (must be original documents)
Drivers License or proof or residence
Social Security cards or W-2 or tax return from prior year
If previously married please provide divorce decree or death certificate (Originals Only)
A witness over the age of 18
Cost is $28.00 cash

How do I get a birth certificate?

Birth Certificate Information (for yourself or a family member)

Required Items:        1.Driver’s License
                                 2. Original Birth Certificate (For Family member only)
                                 3. Cost is $20.00 cash

You may also mail in a written request:
Include Name, Date of Birth, Parents Names, and daytime phone number.

Required Items:        1. Photo copy of Driver’s License
                                 2. Photo copy of Birth Certificate (For Family member only)
                                 3. Money Order for $20.00 made payable to the Township of Teaneck
                                 4. Stamped self-addressed envelope.

Mail to: Township of Teaneck, Vital Statistics, 818 Teaneck Road, Teaneck, NJ 07666

How do I get a death certificate?

Death Certificate Information
Required Documents:
Current Drivers License
Certified Copy of your Birth Certificate
Cost is $15.00 cash

You may also mail in a written request;
Include Dependents name, exact date of death, photo copy of current drivers license, photo copy of birth certificate
Include a money order for $15.00 made payable to the Township of Teaneck and a stamped self-addressed envelope.
Mail to: Township of Teaneck, Vital Statistics, 818 Teaneck Road, Teaneck, NJ 07666

Recreation Department

Are the Recreation Department's youth programs for residents only?


Are there any programs open to non-residents?

Yes, Adult programs and Senior Center programs are available to non-residents.

Why do I need to show proof of residence every time I register my child for programs?

It is our responsibility to ensure that we are serving the taxpayers of Teaneck only at all timesl therefore, whenever you come to register for a program, purchase a badge, etc. you must show proof of residence.

What can I use as acceptable proof of residency?

For adults, a driver's license, a utility bill, current lease agreement, tax record, etc. will serve for proof of residence.

For children, you may use a report card from the Teaneck School system, a report card from your private school linked to your home address in town, insurance card naming dependent children linked to that parent's driver's license, or a birth certificate with a parent’s name on it with that parent’s proof of residence.

What can I use as acceptable proof of my child's age?

A birth certificate or passport will be accepted.

If I have custody of my child(ren) who do not live in Teaneck but who are with me during the Summer, can they register for camp/get a swim badge/etc.?

Yes, though you must show legal proof of custody at the time of registration.

How do I find out when there is no class with regard to holidays, whether municipal or religious?

The Teaneck Recreation Department, with the exception of the Senior Center, follows the schedule of the Teaneck Board of Education.  If the schools are closed, there are no classes.  The schedule of dates for your class is also listed on your reciept given to you at the time of payment.  If you are unsure, please call the Recreation Department.

How do I find out if classes have been canceled due to snow, rain, etc.?

If Teaneck Public Schools are canceled due to inclement weather, all of our programs are also cancelled. This information is generally available on the website. If your class is on a weekend, you will receive a phone call in the event of a cancellation. If you are unsure, please call the Recreation Department during normal business hours.

Are program flyers available online?

Our complete seasonal brochures are available online. You can use this, along with the registration form available online to register for classes; information on our complete registration procedures can be found on this flyer. During the registration period, flyers for individual classes can be found on the information tables in the lobby of the Richard Rodda Community Center as well as on the counters in the Administrative Office during regular office hours.

How do I register for classes?

One week after program fliers for a season become available, mail-in registration commences. Envelopes must be postmarked on or after the first mail-in date. Envelopes marked before this date will not be accepted. Likewise, registration without a valid postmark will not be accepted.  Kindly complete the registration form and send with (1)  Proof of Residence (copy of New Jersey Driver License, current utility bill, etc.) to Teaneck Recreation Department, 250 Colonial Court, Teaneck, N.J. 07666.  If you are registering your child for the first time, please also send (1) Proof of Age (copy of a passport or birth certificate). Please DO NOT SEND PAYMENT with application.  Once we recieve and process your registration form, you will be notified of class availability and given 48 hours to bring payment into the office.  Only one child per form. Only one family’s applications per envelope (members of the same household should send their applications in the same envelope). Once the mail-in period is complete, we will take in-person registration from 8:45 am to 4:15 pm in the Recreation Department office for any classes that are not already full. Please bring proof of residence and age with you at this time. For further information, or if special accommodations are needed, please call the Recreation Department at 201-837-7130 ext. 1.

How can I register my child(ren) for sports?

All sports organizations in Teaneck are independent from the Department and are run by volunteers.

Can the Recreation Department help me reach the sports organizations?.

Yes: for your convenience, we have flyers in the Administrative Office listing the organizations, the eligible ages, the website and contact phone numbers.You can also click here for information on how to contact these organizations.

Does the Recreation Department offer youth programs during Spring Break?

Yes, we offer an annual program called Passport To Adventure; it is a series of nominally priced, chaperoned day trips.

Does the Recreation Department offer youth programming on half-days of school?

Yes: on scheduled dates only, an Open Gym program is available at the Richard Rodda Community Center from 12:00 noon until 4:00 p.m.. A school ID is required to participate.

Does the Recreation Department offer a camp for children with Special Needs?

Yes: the Department, in conjunction with the Board of Education's Extended School Year Program, offers a Challenger Camp in Phelps Park during the month of July.

Does the Recreation Department have a day care ?

No, we do not. We have a  licensed Montessori-based, full-day, Early Childhood Learning Center for students ages 3 and 4.

Are the teachers in the Sunshine Gardens Learning Center certified ?

Yes: the two head teachers also have Bachelors' Degrees. 

Are the Youth Division programs staffed by high school students?

No. The only high school students here are completing their Senior Service requirement for graduation.

Are the Recreation Programs run by the Teaneck Board of Education?

No. The Teaneck Recreation Department is a sixty-nine year-old professional department governed by the municipality. Our programs are separate from those offered by the Board of Education.

What are the hours of operation for Youth Division programs?

Sunshine Garden Learning Center: 9:00 a.m. until 3:00 p.m. (early drop of from 8:00 a.m.) After-care  is available until 6:00 p.m.


After School Program: from school dismissal until 6:00 p.m. (including all half-days)


Camp Sunsational Phases I & II: 9:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. Before-camp care is available from 8:00 a.m. and after-camp is available until 6:00 p.m.

Do the children registered for summer day camp have access to Votee Park and the in-ground pool?

Yes: activities are planned to include use of both facilities.

Is lunch served at the Sunshine Garden Learning Center?

No. Students are responsible for their own lunches; however, we do provide nutritional snacks.

Does the Recreation Department provide transportation for Sunshine Garden Learning Center and/or the After School Program?

There is no transportation available for the Sunshine Garden Learning Center; children must be escorted to and from the program by a parent. Children who are bused from their homes to school and registered in our After School Program will be transported from school to the Rodda Center. They must be picked up by a parent or other designated person 16 years of age or older.

Is there sibling discount for Sunshine Garden Learning Center, the After School Program and/or summer day camp?

Yes, siblings discounts are available for these programs.

Can I observe Sunshine Garden Learning Center and/or the After School Program?

Yes: the best way to do so is to schedule an appointment with the Youth Division Director. The classroom also has large class windows looking out onto the main corridor if you would rather observe from afar.

Does The Recreation Department accept children with special needs into our program?

Yes, we are fully compliant with ADA regulations.

Does The Recreation Department provide shadows for children with special needs?

Yes, if required.

Does The Recreation Department provide transportation to the Senior Center?

No, the Township does not.  Transportation is provided by Bergen County Community Transportation for a limited number of residents who attend the congregate meal program at the Senior Center.

Why do I/we have to register each session for classes in the Senior Division?

With almost 11,000 senior residents in town and the overwhelming popularity of our program, registration is necessary to keep participation open and competitive for all. As a point of reference, all Department programs have registration for each season and session for the same reasons.

Who is eligible to participate in the programs offered by the Senior Services Center?

Anyone 55 years and older who is active and independent with good cognition may register to take part in the Senior Services Center programming.

Can I walk my dog in the park?

No, dogs are not allowed in the Township's parks, with the exception of a designated area in Windsor Park.  There is a dog park in Overpeck County Park in Leonia also.

Does the Recreation Department have late hours?

During the months of June and July only the Department has evening hours .  Please call to find out more about when these hours occur.

What are the distances of the walking trails in Votee Park?

The outer walking path is 1.2 miles long and the inner circle track is approximately one third of a mile.

Are there any swimming pools in the Township?

Yes, currently there is a in-ground pool in Votee Park and an above-ground pool in Hawthorne Park. For information about Votee Pool, click here. For information about Hawthorne Pool, click here.

When are the lights on the fields turned on?

The field lights are only turned on with a permit.

When are the lights on the basketball courts turned on?

The lights in the basketball courts are turned on beginning April 1st until the end of November.

When are the lights on the tennis courts turned on?

The lights are turned on approximately mid-April through November.

Why do I need a picnic permit?

A permit is recommended if you are planning a gathering of family and friends on a specific date. A permit gives you priority for the number of tables indicated on the permit.

How do I obtain a Picnic Permit?

Simply complete and submit a park application.  If available, a permit will be issued.  A fee may be applicable. 

How many Picnic Areas does the Recreation Department have in town?

Three; two in Votee Park and one in Phelps Park.

How do I obtain a permit for fields or facilities, (i.e. basketball courts, hockey rink, etc.)?

Simply, fill out an application and mail it, fax it or bring it into the Administrative Office.The application can be found here.

Are rooms available for rental at the Richard Rodda Community Center?

Yes, if you meet the criteria.

Are gymnasiums available for rental at the Richard Rodda Community Center?

Yes, based on availability. Click here for an application; fill out the applciation and mail, fax, or bring it in person to the Administrative Office.

Does the Recreation Department sell tickets to local amusement parks?

Yes, beginning in June and ending Labor Day.  As a courtesy to residents we sell consignment tickets made available to us from the New Jersey Recreation & Parks Association to select amusement areas in New Jersey and eastern Pennsylvania. These tickets are available for purchase in person during normal business hours and may only be paid for with cash. A list of available tickets and pricing information will be available in the Administrative Office when the tickets go on sale.

Social Services

Is there a food pantry in Teaneck?

YES.  Helping Hands Food Pantry.  185 West Englewood Ave.

Are there any other places where I can get food?

YES.  Center for Food Action, 192A West Demarest Ave, Englewood, NJ 07631

         Christ Episcopal Church, 480 Warwick Ave. Teaneck.  CALL FIRST 201-833-4502

         Meals on Wheels Program:  Delivers a nutritious mid-day meal to homebound seniors, age 60 and

         older.  A donation is suggested.   Register at 201-336-7400

         Food Stamp Program:  Bergen County Board of Social Services, 216 Route 17 North, Rochelle Park,

         NJ 07662, 201-368-4355.

Where can I access Mental Health Services?

Vantage Health System in Englewood serves Teaneck Township residents.

Located at 93 West Palisade Ave, Englewood 201-567-0500

Children’s System of Care  877-652-7624

Juvenile Family Crisis Intervention Unit  201-336-7360

NJ Mental HealthCares  866 202-HELP(4357)

Parents Anonymous  800-843-5437

201-262 HELP(4357)

Is there transportation for seniors and disabled people available in Teaneck?

Bergen County Community Transportation provides a safe, scheduled transportation system for the elderly and frail residents of Bergen County. (*Door-to-Door)  Register at:  201-368-5955