Prescription Drug Disposal Boxes
|Date:||September 8, 2014|
What is a Permanent Prescription Drug Drop Box?
With the growing concern for misuse of prescription medication and water quality, the first 24/7 free standing permanent drug disposal site in Bergen County was recently established at the Paramus Police Department. Other police departments– Allendale, Cliffside Park, Dumont, Edgewater, Fair Lawn, Leonia, Little Ferry, Lodi, Lyndhurst, Montvale, Oakland, Palisades Park, Park Ridge, River Vale, Teaneck, Township of Washington, Waldwick, Tenafly and Ridgefield, Westwood,– have recently established the drop-off sites, with numerous other municipalities expressing interest.
A local initiative of the Bergen County Department of Health Services, Office of Alcohol & Drug Dependency’s County Municipal Alliance Program in cooperation with Consumer Affairs Division of the Attorney General’s Office, this community-based public health initiative highlights the problem of prescription drug abuse and enables Bergen County residents to contribute to the solution. The box is monitored and maintained by the police department, offering a place to drop off expired, unused and unwanted prescription drugs 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, no questions asked. The metal, locked box is similar to a mailbox and once the unwanted pills are dropped in, they cannot be removed nor can anyone reach into/through the door.
What can I put in a Permanent Prescription Drug Drop Box?
The Drop Box is clearly labeled to identify the materials that may be deposited, and the materials that may not be deposited.
- The Drop Box accepts household medications only.
- The Drop Box accepts pills, capsules, patches, and pet medications.
- The Drop Box accepts unused and/or expired over the counter and prescription medications.
- The Drop Box does not accept mail, trash, syringes, or liquids.
Why should I use a Permanent Prescription Drug Drop Box?
- Unused and/or expired medication, over the counter medication and prescription medication can be dropped off safely and anonymously
- Unused drugs are kept out of the hands of unintended users
- Reduced pollution; unused/unwanted drugs are incinerated, not flushed
Where can I find a Permanent Prescription Drug Drop Box?
See links below: