Published on Sep 25, 2018 at 12:09p.m.
Here are some tips for pedestrians and drivers from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration:
How pedestrians can stay safe
- Use sidewalks and pedestrian paths when possible. Otherwise, walk on the shoulder, facing traffic.
- Avoid distractions such as smartphones and other electronic devices.
- Never assume a driver sees you, and make eye contact as they approach.
- Cross streets at crosswalks or intersections when possible.
- Wear bright clothing that makes you visible to drivers, day and night.
- Avoid alcohol and drugs.
How drivers can stay safe
- Look for pedestrians everywhere.
- Stop for pedestrians in the crosswalk.
- Never pass vehicles stopped at a crosswalk.
- Be prepared to stop for pedestrians when turning at intersections.
- Don't drive under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Stick to the speed limit and slow when pedestrians are present.
- Slow down where children may be present, such as school zones and neighborhoods.