ADVISORY: Coronavirus 2019 (COVID-2019)
Published on Jan 27, 2020 at 12:32p.m.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is closely monitoring an outbreak caused by a novel (new) Coronavirus which was first detected in Wuhan City, Hubei Province, China. To date, several hundred cases have occurred in China with exported cases being reported in several other countries including the United States. All cases associated with this outbreak have been linked to a large wholesale fish and live animal market in Wuhan City. However, there is a growing number of patients reportedly have not had exposure to such markets suggesting limited person-to-person spread is occurring.
The Teaneck Health Department is conducting active surveillance where we continue to monitor the situation closely in accordance with the CDC and New Jersey Department of Health (NJDOH) guidelines.
Coronavirus is a type of common virus that can infect the respiratory tract and tend to circulate in the fall and winter months. Symptoms of this infection can include: fever, cough, and shortness of breath. Symptoms varied from mild to severe.
While no cases of Coronavirus 2019 (COVID-2019) have been reported at this time in New Jersey, the NJDOH recommends the following steps which prevent the transmission of Coronavirus:
- Ensure that all individuals engage in appropriate hand and respiratory hygiene.
- Thoroughly wash hands with soap and water, especially after coughing or sneezing. Use alcohol-based hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available. However, waterless hand sanitizers should not be substituted for soap and water.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth. Cough or sneeze into your sleeve, not your hands or into the air. Cover your coughs and sneezes with tissues and dispose of them properly.
- Avoid contact with ill people. If you are ill, stay home from work or school and limit contact with others to keep from infecting them.
- Review and follow CDC travel advisories when planning travel. The CDC recommends avoiding non-essential travel to China. See travel notice: https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/warning/novel-coronavirus-wuhan-china
- Review and follow CDC travel advisories when planning travel. The CDC recommends avoiding non-essential travel to South Korea. See travel notice: https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/warning/coronavirus-south-korea
Anyone who suspects an exposure is urged to call a health care provider before going to a medical office or emergency room. Special arrangements can be made for you to be evaluated while also protecting other patients and medical staff from possible infection.
The NJDOHs priority is to reduce the spread of infection by protecting the health of children, adolescents, and adults. Therefore, the NJDOH continues to stress basic infection prevention activities such as covering your mouth/nose when coughing or sneezing, and washing your hands.
The NJDOH & NJ Poison Control Center (NJPIES) has opened a Coronavirus hotline: 1-800-222-1222.
For more information about Coronavirus, contact your health care provider or visit the following websites:
NJDOH – General Information Page – https://www.nj.gov/health/cd/topics/ncov.shtml
CDC – General Information Page – https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html
CDC – Information on Infection Control in Health Care Setting – https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nCoV/infection-control.html
CDC – Information on Infection Control at Home – https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/guidance-home-care.html
More: Home News Health Department News