Public Works FAQ

No answers matched your search

Please click here to submit a service request. During Township business hours the Department of Public Works can be reached at 201-837-1600 Ext.1751


The following restrictions and criteria apply to recycling containers used by residents for garden debris and commingled recyclable material pick-up:

1)      Containers must be no larger than 32 gallons in size. 

2)      Containers must not have wide bottoms with narrow tops (i.e.pickle barrels).

3)      Containers must have handles.

4)      Containers must be made of either plastic or light weight metal not cardboard.

5)      Filled containers must not exceed 50 lbs.

6)      NEWSPAPERS/MIXED PAPER for curbside collection must be tied into   bundles, not more than 12" high and secured with string, twine or cord. Corrugated cardboard must be flattened and tied for curbside collection.






Junk Mail

Paper Bags


Paperback and Telephone Books

Egg Cartons

Anything else made of paper

Commingled Recyclables (numbers 1 thru 7 plus glass bottles):

Plastics (non-toxic containers), cups, utensils, etc.

Bottles (detergents, oil, salad dressing, milk jugs, water, etc.)

Jars (peanut butter, mayonnaise, etc.)

Containers (milk, yogurt, sour cream, take-out, cake, cookie, etc.)

Plastic Bags or Plastic Wrap

Toys (no metal parts)

Bubble Wrap

Shrink Wrap

Juice Boxes (with foil inside)

Tetra Pak Materials

Rigid Plastic (molded lawn chairs, buckets, toys, etc.)

Anything else made of plastic


Soda Cans

Cans (soup, food, coffee, etc.)

Aluminum Foil



Egg Cartons

Packing Material (televisions, electronics, etc.)

Egg Cartons

Packing Material (televisions, electronics, etc.)

Contact the Police Department at 201-837-2600.

No, recyclables can only be dropped off at the Township Recycling Center, located at 1600 River Road or curbside in front of your house and the appropiate collection days. Schedule

7:00 AM to 2:45 PM, Friday through Sunday, except Township holidays. The Recycling Center is closed on Monday through Thursday and Township holidays.

The day after Columbus Day. More details.

Please refer to the recycling calendar.

Yes, at the recycling center.

The following items are not accepted at the recycling center: Compact fluorescent bulbs, all batteries (except vehicle), and contaminated motor oil. For those items not accepted at the recycling center please refer to the B.C.U.A. website.

The property owner is responsible for maintenance of sidewalks adjacent to their property.

Yes, in order to replace one’s sidewalk, a permit must be obtained from the Engineering Department by the respective contractor or homeowner. Contractors are required to be licensed by the Township in order to perform concrete work in the public right of way prior to any construction. If tree roots are involved with the replacement of a sidewalk, the individual performing the work must contact the Public Works Department at 201-837-1600 ext 1751 or 1728 to arrange for the Township to evaluate and/or grind the tree roots.

Contact the Department of Public Works at 201-837-1600  during normal business hours. For after hour sewer emergencies, contact the Police Department at 201-837-2600.

Residents can report street light outages by calling Public Service at 800-436-7734 or by calling the Teaneck Police Department at 201-837-2600. When calling, please have location and pole number available.

They are responsible for all road related maintenance issues, potholes, and catch basin repair. Click here for the link to county roads.

The Department of Transportation is responsible for road related maintenance issues, including trees, catch basins, and litter. Click here for the link to the NJ DOT.